Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My Own Kind of Paradise

Have you noticed that math and science majors have a perfect job match? For example, if you major in Dentistry, you will probably be a Dentist. If you major in Architecture, you will probably be an Architect. I think this is why I have always be pulled toward majoring in Dental Hygiene... Then I could be a Dental Hygienist. Silly me, I'm not even exceptionally good at math, or science! I have always been an English junkie... (well...more than math or science..) When I received my ACT scores, my mom and I talked about how I should search for a different major...perhaps in an English field. I did for a while, but I always went back to Dental Hygiene- I have a thing for teeth and smiling!
Recently, I was accepted into Bellarmine University! I was looking through the majors they offered and found out they do not offer Dental Hygiene .University of Kentucky, my number one pick, also does not offer Dental Hygiene as a major. In fact, University of Louisville is the only school I found that does!
I was feeling very discouraged, because Louisville would be fantastic! But, right now, my heart is set in Lexington! I am really looking into UK. So I decided to look for a different major, or a major similar to Dental Hygiene. While looking through the list of majors UK offers, I came across Linguistics. ...Honestly, I didn't even know what it meant. So I looked it up..on Google, of course! While I am reading, I come to realize, this major is perfect for me. It is exactly what I am interested in, and what I am good at- compared to math or science;)
The only problem I had now was finding a career to follow up on a linguistics major. At first, this was a struggle, but when I read about a Speech Therapist, I was in awe. I don't know why I never thought of the idea before! I like to think that it could possibly be a calling..
After a day of researching linguistics, anthropology, and speech therapy.. I think I may have finally found my cup of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment